Zverev remains confident amid personal upheaval

226
Melbourne

US Open finalist Alexander Zverev insisted Saturday he is on track to contend for a maiden Grand Slam title despite a mounting personal toll off the court.
The world number seven will spearhead Germany in the ATP Cup starting in Melbourne Tuesday as he eyes a first Slam trophy at the subsequent Australian Open.
But Zverev, who fell agonisingly short in New York to Dominic Thiem, has endured a tumultuous period including allegations of domestic abuse by a former girlfriend and a recent split with coach David Ferrer.

The 23-year-old, however, said he remained buoyed by his strong showing in the majors last year, which included a semi-final finish at the Australian Open.
“I worked extremely hard in the off-season,” he said. “I’d like to think that I did everything I could to be as well-prepared as I can be.” Zverev received criticism last year, most notably from outspoken Australian Nick Kyrgios, for flaunting social distancing rules at the ill-fated Adria Tour exhibition tournament organised by world No.1 Novak Djokovic.
The German, however, backed the strict measures imposed on players ahead of the Australian season.

“I don’t think I lost much (fitness),” he said. “Being able to play in front of a crowd, not living in a bubble now during the tournament, I think a lot of players really appreciate that.

Previous articleGiga Mall Extension Project Groundbreaking kicks off with launching of world’s first sky-high Jamia Masjid
Next articleStar pitcher Tanaka wants Olympic gold with Japan fans