The United States will provide an additional $327 million in aid to Afghanistan to shore up humanitarian assistance, U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken said on Friday.
“This assistance from the United States will continue to support the scaled-up humanitarian response in Afghanistan and neighboring countries through international humanitarian organizations,” Blinken said in a statement.
While talking at the launch of the US Afghan Consultative Mechanism, Blinken said that the Islamic Emirate’s decision to ban girls from going to school was a reversal of commitments they made to the Afghan people and to the world.
“The Taliban’s decision to ban girls from attending secondary schools, a decision that happened while some girls were literally walking to school and others were already sitting at their desks, was a reversal of commitments they made to the Afghan people and to the world. For 314 days and counting, the girls of Afghanistan have sat at home while their brothers and cousins have been receiving educations. It’s a terrible, terrible waste,” State Department quoted Blinken’s remarks while talking to the meeting.
US Secretary of State Antony Blinken further added that since the Islamic Emirate took over, they’ve silenced civil society and journalists in Afghanistan.
“Since the Taliban took over a year ago, they’ve reversed a great deal of the openness and progress that had been made over the previous decades. They’ve silenced civil society and journalists. —Tolonews