Time to showcase Pakistan’s wildlife potential: Faisal

47

WWF, IWMB join hands to rescue endangered pangolins

 


 

 

Zubair Qureshi

The Indian pangolin is a critically endangered mammal that is on the verge of extinction and it is our joint responsibility to rescue this harmless and eco-friendly animal from traffickers.

This was a consensus point at a media awareness session on “Scale and Scope of Illegal Trade of Endangered Indian Pangolin, Ecological and Economic Benefits and Conservation Efforts in Pakistan.”

The event was organized by the World Wildlife Fund (WWF) Pakistan in the ‘Dino Park’ section of the Margazar Zoo on Wednesday.

Senator Faisal Javed Khan, Chairman of the Senate’s Standing Committee on Information, Chairperson of the Islamabad Wildlife Management Board (IWMB) Rina S Khan, Senior Director of the WWF-Pakistan Rab Nawaz, Prof Dr Tariq Mehmood of the Arid Agriculture University Rawalpindi were of the view that it was high time combined efforts should be undertaken to rescue this critically-endangered animal as smugglers and poachers worldwide are involved in its trafficking to the eastern market where its scales are used in making jewelry and meat in various medicines.

Whereas Malaysian and Mongolian pangolins are almost extinct, Indian pangolins have also reduced up to the level of 80 percent and if corrective steps are not taken the remaining 20 per cent will also fast diminish, they warned.

In his address as Chief Guest on the occasion, Senator Faisal Javed Khan said Prime Minister Imran is clear in his vision to showcase Pakistan’s huge potential in wildlife and to turn the country into a tourism-friendly nation.