Watch: TLP protesters clear GT Road after agreement with govt


LAHORE – The protesters of the proscribed Tehreek-i-Labbaik Pakistan (TLP) have cleared the GT Road as they called of their long march to Islamabad after group’s leadership reached an agreement with the government.

However, the TLP workers will continue to stage sit-in in a ground in Wazirabad until Saad Hussain Rizvi is released from jail.

The TLP chief is in detention of the Punjab government since April 12 under the Maintenance of Public Order ordinance.

Despite the roads have been cleared by the protesters, traffic was not restored as security officials are waiting orders from the authorities.

Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs Ali Mohammad Khan shared a video on Twitter about clearance of the GT Road.

Khan said that GT Road had been cleared after TLP protesters moved to an open ground in Wazirabad away from traffic “as per the agreement”.

“I appreciate the TLP leadership for honouring their commitment and the government is already implementing its side of the agreement since last night,” the minister said.

The government’s negotiating team announced on Sunday that it has reached an agreement with the proscribed Tehreek-i-Labbaik Pakistan but did not divulge any further details, with Mufti Muneebur Rehman saying the specifics will come to light at an “appropriate time”.

The announcement was made at a press conference held in Islamabad featuring Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi, National Assembly Speaker Asad Qaiser, MNA Ali Mohammad Khan, Mufti Muneeb as well as TLP members Mufti Ghulam Abbas Faizi and Mufti Mohammad Ameer.

The agreement comes after almost two weeks of clashes that left at least seven policemen dead and scores injured on both sides.

The proscribed group began the march, calling for the release of its incarcerated leader, Saad Rizvi, and the expulsion of France’s ambassador over the publication of caricatures depicting the Holy Prophet (PBUH) in a French satirical magazine.

The situation in Wazirabad, where the TLP marchers have camped out, remains unchanged, with blockades of roads and cellular services continuing.

The protesters have started packing up their belongings, but have been told not to move until they are given the green light by the TLP’s leadership in Islamabad.

Sajid Saifi, a TLP spokesman, told media that supporters were ready to pack up but were awaiting instructions from the party’s leadership.

He said he hoped TLP leader Saad Rizvi and all the activists arrested in recent days would be released soon.

“The government of Pakistan and the TLP had a detailed discussion under an environment of mutual trust, and an agreement has been reached between the two sides,” Mufti Muneeb said.

“The agreement was reached after sense prevailed over aggression, rationality prevailed over sentiments, and all the participants demonstrated patience.

Read more:

Previous articlePresident empowered to remove NAB chief under new ordinance
Next articlePakistan witnesses highest ever exports in October 2021