Chinese firm working on Neelum-Jhelum Project: WAPDA

73
Zubair Qureshi
Islamabad

Spokesperson of the Pakistan Water and Power Development Authority (WAPDA), while taking strong notice of a news item published in a section of press that the work on Neelum-Jhelum Hydropower Project (NJHP) in Pakistan has been abandoned by a Chinese firm. While dismissing the rumours, the spokesperson clarified there was no truth in the news and the work on the NJHP was steadily in progress.

Terming the news fabricated, baseless and misleading, the spokesperson said the Chinese Contractor had been continuously working at all sites without any interruption.

The 969 MW- NJHP was completed by a joint venture of two Chinese firms M/s CGGC and M/s CMEC in 2018. Prior to the July 6 incident, NJHP was functioning satisfactorily and generated 18.28 billion units.

NJHP was shut down on July 6 due to blockade in its tailrace tunnel considering safety of the power structure and all other equipment.

However, immediately after the incident, M/s CGGC, the contractor for execution of civil works, was engaged in carrying out the remedial works. The contractor immediately started mobilization on the site. The contract agreement was also signed with M/s CGGC.

Since then, the contractor has been working at site without any interruption. The restoration work on the tailrace tunnel is progressing as per schedule and expected to be completed by February 2023.

The spokesperson said that proper security to the Chinese contractor has been provided and there is no security concern at NJHP.

 

Previous articleHyundai Tucson conferred Consumer Icon Award
Next articleChina’s Gansu Province sees foreign trade up 27.8 pct