Arab League Secretary General Ahmed Aboul Gheit on Saturday led Arab foreign ministers in lambasting Turkey’s military operation in northeast Syria as an “invasion of an Arab state’s land and an aggression on its sovereignty”.
Saudi Arabia’s Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Adel Al-Jubeir called on the international community to act immediately to bring about an end to Turkish military operations in northeast Syria.
Al-Jubeir also said that the Kingdom condemns the Turkish attack and called for an immediate halt to military operations. The UAE’s Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Anwar Gargash also condemned the Turkish offensive.
“We call for the exit of Turkey and its forces, as well as all foreign forces that have violated this Arab country – and to push for a successful political solution,” Gargash said.
Iraqi Foreign Minister Mohamed Ali Alhakim, president of the current Arab League session, also condemned Turkey’s offensive into Syria during an emergency meeting of the body, called by Egypt.
Reading from the meeting’s final communique, Aboul Gheit said that the Arab League will consider taking measures against Turkey in the economic, investment and cultural sectors, and include tourism and military cooperation.
Turkey dismissed the Arab League statement, saying it misrepresented its military operations. Arab foreign ministers had earlier lined up to condemn Turkey.
The offensive “will exacerbate humanitarian crises, increase the suffering of the Syrian people, and strengthen the ability of terrorists to reorganise their remnants,” Alhakim said. — Reuters