Four FC men martyred, 20 injured in Quetta attack

57

PM condemns ‘TTP attack’, salutes security forces’ sacrifices

 Our Correspondent
Quetta

At least four personnel of the Frontier Corps were martyred on Sunday while over 20, including two passers-by, were said to be injured in a suicide attack on an FC checkpost on Mastung Road, in Quetta.

According to the Counter-Terrorism Department Balochistan’s spokesperson, the blast was a “suicide attack” and was carried out near the Sona Khan security checkpoint.

The officer added that CTD personnel reached the site of the incident and an investigation had been launched. The area was cordoned off, the CTD official added.

According to security forces, the vehicle targeted in the incident was providing security to vegetable sellers belonging to the Hazara community.

Following the incident, security was enhanced in the area and the province, including at the entry and exit routes of the city.

According to security sources, the suicide bomber was on a motorcycle laden with five kilogramme of explosive material when he struck the vehicle.

The sources said that the vehicle was targeted after the attackers conducted thorough reconnaissance of the area.

Police and Rescue teams also reached the spot and started to collect evidence from the blast site. They took into custody the severed head and other body parts of the suicide bomber.

DIG Quetta Azhar Akram said at least 20 people were injured but their number may rise.
Eight of the injured people were shifted to Shaikh Zayed Hospital for treatment where doctors described their condition as very serious.

Meanwhile, Prime Minister Imran Khan condemned the suicide attack and condoled with the families of those who lost their lives in the incident.

“Condemn the TTP suicide attack on FC checkpost, Mastung road, Quetta. My condolences go to the families of the martyrs & prayers for the recovery of the injured,” the premier said on Twitter.

“Salute our security forces & their sacrifices to keep us safe by thwarting foreign-backed terrorists’ designs,” he added.

Governor Balochistan Syed Zahoor Ahmad Agha expressed grief at the deaths of the personnel and injuries to others in the terrorist attack.

Condemning the incident, he directed the law enforcement personnel to utilise all possible resources to arrest the culprits.

The governor further said that the nation can defeat the ill designs of the terrorists through national unity.

He prayed for the martyred men and for the early recovery of the injured.
Pakistan Muslim League-N President Shehbaz Sharif condemned the attack and expressed sympathy with the victims.

In a statement, Shehbaz said that the deterioration of law and order was a cause of concern. He prayed for the departed souls and patience for the families of the bereaved.

 

Previous articleNation observes Defence Day today
Next articlePeaceful, stable Afghanistan in interest of Pakistan, region: Imran