Three dead, eight wounded in US high school shooting

16

A 15-year-old student opened fire at his Michigan high school on Tuesday, killing three teenagers and wounding eight other people before surrendering to police, au-thorities said, in what was the deadliest US school shooting so far this year.

Eight others, includ-ing one teacher, were wounded in the attack, which took place shortly after noon while classes were in session at Oxford High School, the Oakland County Sheriff’s Office said.

The sheriff’s office said the dead were a 16-year-old male, a 14-year-old female, and a 17-year-old female.

Of the wounded, six were in stable condition and two were undergoing surgery.
The suspect was taken into custody and a semi-automatic handgun was seized, but there was no immediate ex-planation for what might have prompted the attack in Oxford, a small town about 40 miles (65 kilometers) north of Detroit.

“There was no resis-tance during the arrest and the suspect has asked for a lawyer and has not made any statements as to a motive,” the sheriff’s of-fice said.

“It’s a very tragic situation,” Undersheriff Michael McCabe told reporters.
“We have three de-ceased victims right now, who are all believed to be students,” he said.“We have lots of up-set parents,” he said.

McCabe said police received more than 100 911 emergency calls shortly after noon, and that the shooter unleashed 15-20 shots over about five minutes.The suspect was taken into custody within five minutes of the first 911 call, he said.—APP

Previous articleOIC SG receives Sudan, Nigerian ambassadors to Saudi Arabia
Next articleUN asked to play role for release of IIOJK detainees