Foreign Office Spokesperson Dr Mohammad Faisal on Wednesday said India and Pakistan will sign the
Kartarpur Corridor agreement on October 24.
The development comes hours after New Delhi stepped back from its commitment to sign the
agreement today. Sources had told The Express Tribune that New Delhi was adamant Islamabad waive off
the $20 fee imposed per pilgrim.
Pakistan had handed the final draft of the proposed bilateral agreement to India on October 11.
Islamabad also accepted New Delhi’s demand to allow devotees of other faiths – Hindus, Christians,
Zoroastrians, etc – to visit Baba Guru Nanak Devji’s final resting place.
Under the agreement, at least 5,000 pilgrims will be allowed to visit the holy site every day. India
will share the list of pilgrims 10 days in advance and Pakistan will verify and finalise it four days
before the visit.
In his weekly press briefing, the FO spokesperson reiterated that although Pakistan did not
harbour aggressive designs against India the armed forces and people were ready to defend the country
against any act of aggression on New Delhi’s part.
Terming Indian army chief’s allegations ‘irresponsible’, Faisal said India’s lies and deceit
had been exposed by Pakistan arranging a visit of diplomatic corps to the Line of Control.
Faisal highlighted Indian High Commission’s cold-shoulder to an invite to the LoC visit. “The
desperate attempts being resorted by India to divert international attention from the humanitarian
nightmare in Indian Occupied Jammu and Kashmir,” he said and added that India’s aggressive policy was a
growing threat to regional peace and stability.
When asked about the anti-government and pro-democracy protests in Hong Kong, Faisal stressed
that it was an internal matter for China. “All countries should refrain from intervening in internal
affairs of other countries,” he added.