Chinese company ‘withdraws’ notice to expel Pakistani workers

36

Work on Dasu project to resume soon

Abdul Khaliq Qureshi 
Dasu

The Chinese construction company, China Gezhouba Group Corporation, has declared its earlier notice on the termination of contract with Pakistani labourers working with it on the Dasu Hydropower Project as “null and void”.

“The notification of employment contract termination published by CGGC Dasu HPP Management on July 16, 2021, has not been approved by the competent authority and is declared null and void now,” read a notice issued by the CGGC DASU Hydropower Project on July 17.

Meanwhile, the China Gezhouba Group Corporation has said that the construction work on the project would now resume very soon.

It bears mentioning that in the wake of the Dasu bus incident, the civil administration, Water and Power Development Authority, and CGGC decided with mutual consultation to suspend construction work on the project for a few days so some operational aspects can be re-organsied and construction work resumes in a more secure atmosphere.

Since then, WAPDA has been in close coordination with the CGGC high-ups and it is expected that the CGGC will restart construction activities on the project in a few days.

The spokesman said that the closure of the project was aimed at reorganising security measures, during which WAPDA remained in constant touch with the officials of the Chinese company.

Separately, Spokesperson of Ministry of Foreign Affairs Zahid Hafeez Chaudhri said work on the Dasu hydropower project would resume soon as both Pakistan and China remain committed to the timely completion of the project as well as others being undertaken with Chinese cooperation.

It is pertinent to mention here that a fifteen-member Chinese delegation is currently visiting Pakistan in connection with the investigation of the tragic Dasu incident on July 14.

Previous articleSoldier martyred in S. Waziristan
Next articleUK’s warning over terror threat from Afghan collapse