TV anchor murder co-accused flees from SC after bail cancellation


The Supreme Court on Thursday revoked the bail granted to Adil Zaman, the co-accused in anchorperson Mureed Abbas’ murder case. A three-judge bench, hearing a plea seeking the cancellation of Adil’s bail at the SC’s Karachi registry, ordered police to arrest the accused and send him behind bars at once. The accused who has was present on the court premises managed to escape after the cancellation of his bail. Abbas’ wife Zara Abbas approached the top court, stating that the Sindh High Court had ignored important evidence and granted bail to Adil. Her lawyer contended that the accused was present at the crime scene when his brother, Atif Zaman, the prime accused in the case, shot and killed two persons, including her client’s husband. On July 9, 2019, Atif had gunned down TV anchorperson Mureed Abbas, 34 and Khizar Hayat, 45 over a monetary dispute in Defence Housing Authority (DHA) and then attempted suicide. An anti-terrorism court had on Sept 30 dropped terrorism charges in the case and had sent the case back to a sessions court to conduct trial of accused Atif Zaman on charges of killing his two business partners. The suspect, identified as Atif Zaman, shot two people and then attempted suicide at his apartment in Nishat Commercial. Police found him in an injured condition and shifted him to South City Hospital. Doctors operated on him after which he was shifted to the ICU. Zaman fell unconscious Wednesday afternoon, but recorded his statement with the police after gaining consciousness later in the day. Police said that Zaman made 35 calls to different business partners and arranged meetups at different locations in Clifton and Bukhari Commercial. Only five, however, confirmed that they could meet him. Another business partner, Khizar Hayat, was called to meet him near a chai dhaba at Chota Bukhari. Hayat was standing near a stall when Zaman opened fire on him and killed him. He then went to meet Abbas, who was waiting for him at their office at a building in Bukhari. The distance from the place where Hayat was killed and their office is of six minutes. CCTV footage shows Zaman entering the office building with another person dressed in a white shalwar. Zaman can be seen holding a gun too.