Punjab removes TLP chief Saad Rizvi’s name from Fourth Schedule

25

LAHORE – The Punjab government Wednesday removed the name of Tehreek-i-Labbaik Pakistan (TLP) chief Saad Hussain Rizvi’s name from the fourth schedule in the latest development following an undisclosed agreement with the party last month.

The Punjab Home Department has issued the notification in this regard. Rizvi was placed on the Fourth Schedule of Anti-Terrorism Act 1997 in April this year.

The provincial government has also removed the name of 487 TLP members from the list.

The interior ministry on Sunday issued a notification to announce the revocation of TLP’s proscribed status, days after the government reached a deal with the group to end its violent protest march to Islamabad.

“The provincial cabinet has considered the request of the organisation and in view of the assurance and commitment by the organisation, is of the opinion that the said organisation shall abide by the Constitution and laws of the country and therefore, keeping in view the larger national interest and long term perspective to ensure that such incidents do not recur in future, the government of Punjab has proposed to the federal government to consider revoking of the proscription of Tehreek-e-Labbaik Pakistan,” read the Interior Ministry notification.

The notice stated that “in exercise of the powers conferred under sub-section (1) of Section 11U of the Anti-Terrorism Act, 1997 (as amended), the federal government is pleased to remove the name of Tehreek-e-Labbaik Pakistan from the First Schedule of the said Act as a proscribed organisation for the purposes of the said Act”.

Later on Monday, TLP announced to end its wit-in protest being staged in a ground of Wazirabad after the government implemented 50 percent of their demands.

Read more: https://pakobserver.net/tlp-ends-wazirabad-sit-in-after-de-proscription/

 

Previous articleT20 World Cup: Shadab’s 4-wicket haul go in vain as Australia beat Pakistan in semi-final
Next article‘Afghanistan stands at the brink of an economic collapse,’ FM Qureshi warns during Troika Plus moot