ISLAMABAD – The federal government has decided to pursue the Islamabad couple assault case a day after female victim retracted from her statement, saying she did not want to pursue the case.
The case had come to light when a video of four persons including main suspect Usman Mirza beating a couple and forcing them to strip at gunpoint had gone viral on social media last year in July.
Police had arrested Usman Mirza, and co-accused Hafiz Ataur Rehman, Adaras Qayyum Butt, Rehan, Umar Bilal Marwat, Mohib Bangash and Farhan Shaheen after registering case against them.
The premier has sought report on development in the Islamabad assault case and motorway rape case. He has directed the Ministry of Law to follow up the cases on daily basis in order to bring them to logical conclusion.
Ensuring protection of citizens is top priority of the government, he said, adding: “The state will pursue the case to ensure that suspects are handed punishment”.
Meanwhile, the law ministry held a meeting to discuss settlement between Usman Mirza and the female victim.
Parliamentary Secretary for Law and Justice Maleeka Bokhari vowed to present solid evidence in the court against suspect in the case. “We will pray the court to award strict punishment to those involved in such cases”.
During Tuesday’s hearing, the female victim submitted an affidavit in the court of Additional District and Sessions Judge Atta Rabbani, saying she had not identified any suspect.
She told the judge that she did not go to Adiala Jail for identification parade of suspects. “I do not know any of the suspect,” she said.
Reports said that the victims retracted from her statement after reaching a deal with the suspects.