At least nine people died in rain-related incidents in Karachi since the start of raining.
The metropolis intermittently receiving light to heavy rainfall at times since Friday under the influence of a monsoon system in the region.
At least six people in the city died by electrocution exposing the performance and safety measures of the sole power utility of Karachi. In Shoe Market a 20-year youth died by electrocution, another young man namely Raqeeb 23 died by electrict current in Manghopir area.
A woman Ruqayya Mubeen Shah, 38, was electrocuted to death at Mansehra Colony of Landhi, while working at home. A child died by electric current Arsalan Homes in North Karachi area and an elderly man died by electrocution at a house in 100-Quarters in Korangi.
Moreover, a boy electrocuted to death near a petrol pump in Muhammad Ali Society.
The dead body of a boy along with father, swept away in floodwater in Gadap, was retrieved from water, while search for the father has been underway.
Following a rain forecast, different areas of the port city continued to receive moderate to heavy showers under the influence of a monsoon system that is present over Karachi. The most rain was recorded in the Gulshan-e-Hadeed neighbourhood, which received 102.7mm of rain during the past 24 hours, said the Pakistan Meteorologist Department.
Among other high rainfall areas were the old airport area with 53mm of rain, PAF Faisal Base with 46mm, Jinnah terminal with 38.8mm, the Karachi University Road with 28.4mm, Quaidabad with 25.5mm, Nazimabad with 20.4mm and Gadap Town with 15mm in the same period.
The Shah Latif police said Ruqayya Mubeen Shah, 38, was working at home in Bhains Colony when she got an electric shock and died, adding that her body was taken to the Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre. Similarly, Sawera Ghulam Mustafa was at home in Baldia Town’s Mawach Goth when she got electrocuted, according to the local police, who said her body was taken to the Dr Ruth KM Pfau Civil Hospital Karachi (CHK).
In Manghopir, Raqeebullah Sardar Khan, 23, got an electric shock from a wire at home, said the police, adding that his body was taken to the Abbasi Shaheed Hospital (ASH), from where his family took it away without completing the medico-legal formalities.
In the Garden neighbourhood, Abdur Rehman, 20, was electrocuted while working at a shop in the Shoe Market, said the police, adding that his body was taken to the CHK.
It is pertinent to mention here that three people were electrocuted to death and two more were killed after a roof and a wall of their respective houses had collapsed on the first day of rain in Karachi.
Intermittent rains once again exposed the city’s drainage system and the Sindh government’s claims regarding its rain emergency plans. Several main roads and streets were completely flooded, while hundreds of commuters were stranded without any help.
Rainwater entered various houses in Gulistan-e-Jauhar Block 12. A resident, Aslam Siddiqui, said the Cantonment Board Faisal had not gotten the storm water drain cleaned, resulting in flash floods in the neighbourhood.