Gunmen kill 11 at Russian army base in blow to Putin’s plan

103

Gunmen shot dead 11 people at a Russian military training ground on Saturday, the defence ministry said, in the latest blow to President Vladimir Putin’s forces since the invasion of Ukraine.

RIA news agency cited the ministry as saying 15 others were wounded in the shooting, in Russia’s southwestern Belgorod region that borders Ukraine, when two men gunned down a group who had volunteered to take part in the war.

It said the two assailants had been shot dead. Some Russian independent media outlets reported that the number of casualties was higher than the official figures.

“A terrible event happened on our territory, on the territory of one of the military units,” the governor of Belgorod region Vyacheslav Gladkov said early on Sunday.

“Many soldiers were killed and wounded … There are no residents of the Belgorod region among the wounded and killed,” Gladkov said in a video post on the Telegram messaging app.

The attack took place a week after a blast damaged a bridge in Crimea, the peninsula annexed by Russia from Ukraine in 2014. Earlier in the war, Russia’s flagship in the Black Sea blew up and sank.

“During a firearms training session with individuals who voluntarily expressed a desire to participate in the special military operation [against Ukraine], the terrorists opened fire with small arms on the personnel of the unit,” RIA cited a defence ministry statement as saying.— Reuters

 

Previous articlePM for collective steps to ensure food security
Next articleBiden has ‘no plans’ to meet Saudi crown prince at G20 summit