Emma Raducanu is confident that she will be able to make it to Wimbledon after withdrawing from her previous WTA 250 event in Birmingham.

The US Open champion was down 3-4 in the first set against Swiss Viktorija Golubic t the Nottingham Open on Tuesday when she had to withdraw due to a side strain.

The 19-year-old Briton said on Wednesday that she was looking forward to the rest of the grasscourt swing.

“It was disappointing to go out this week with a side injury and unfortunately will no longer be able to play in Birmingham,” Raducanu said in a statement released by Britain’s Lawn Tennis Association (LTA).

“I’m looking forward to be back on the match court soon though to enjoy the rest of the grass season.”

The teenager has struggled with injuries ever since being shot to stardom in September 2021 when she won the U.S. Open title as a qualifier, becoming Britain’s first female Grand Slam champion since Virginia Wade in 1977.

She has suffered mixed results since her triumph, failing to make it far in majors since with a string of fitness issues hampering her progress.

In her most recent grand slam, she was knocked out in the second round of the French Open last month.

Emma Raducanu will be hoping that familiarity with the home conditions at the Wimbledon will turn her luck around as she already reached the 16 of the grass-court major in 2021.

Wimbledon will be held from June 27 to July 10 with no ranking points on offer after the tournament banned Russian and Belarusian players from this year’s event.

Previous articleLIV Golf gets legitimacy with DeChambeau signing
Next articleCarlos Alcaraz to miss Wimbledon tune-up with injury