The United States Women’s National Soccer Team (USWNT) has signed a historic deal that will see them paid equally to their male colleagues.

A new landmark collective bargaining agreement (CBAs) with the U.S Soccer Federation has been ratified by all parties.

As per the agreement the men’s and women’s national team players will receive equal pay and prize money, including at World Cups.

For official competitions, the women’s (USWNT) and men’s (USMNT) national team players will earn identical game appearance fees.

For official competitions other than the World Cup, players will earn identical game bonuses.

It is a landmark moment as U.S. Soccer becomes the first federation in the world to equalize FIFA World Cup prize money awarded to both women’s and men’s teams for participation in their respective World Cups.

The CBAs have been signed through 2028 which cover the next two World Cups and Olympic cycles.

Under the terms of the new agreements, the funds earned at the World Cups in 2022 (men’s) and 2023 (women’s) will be pooled, and the portion paid to the players will be 90%, split equally between members of the two squads, with U.S. Soccer earning the remaining 10%.

In 2026 and 2027, the players will split 80% of the pooled prize money, with the federation receiving the remaining 20%.

This will keep their players among the highest-paid national team players in the world.

The women’s team will no longer receive guaranteed salaries and have the same pay-to-play payments as their male counterparts.

In another first, U.S. Soccer will share a portion of its broadcast, partner, and sponsorship revenue with a 50-50 split of that share divided equally between USWNT and USMNT.

The agreement comes three months after the USWNT and U.S. Soccer agreed to resolve a dispute over equal pay dating back to 2016 when some players filed a federal wage discrimination complaint, claiming they were paid less than male players even though they generate more income for the United States Soccer Federation.

The deal also covers other areas such as child care, retirement, insurance, parental leave, short-term disability, mental health impairment, travel, accommodation, equal quality of venues, and field playing surfaces.

The men’s World Cup will be played in November-December this year in Qatar, while the women’s edition will be held next year in Australia and New Zealand.

The USWNT is the most successful team in international women’s football.

They have won four World Cups, including the last one in 2019. They recently added the SheBelieves Cup to their trophy cabinet.

U.S. men have never achieved this feat.

Previous articleBilawal, Blinken reiterate desire to boost Pak-US ties
Next articleFIBA imposes ban on Russia and Belarus