Sudan’s PM resigns as deadly crackdown on protesters goes on


Sudan s civilian Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok resigned Sunday, more than two months after a coup and following another deadly crackdown on protest-ers, with the military now firmly in control.

Sudan had been undergoing a fragile journey toward civilian rule since the 2019 ouster of auto-crat Omar al-Bashir, but was plunged into turmoil when military leader General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan launched his coup on October 25 and de-tained Hamdok.

Hamdok was reinstated him on November 21 under a deal promising elections for July 2023, but local media had reported he had been absent from his office for days, with rumours swirling over his possible resignation.

“I have tried my best to stop the country from sliding towards disaster,” Hamdok said Sunday evening, addressing the nation on state television.

Sudan “is crossing a dangerous turning point that threatens its whole survival”, he said. Hamdok was the civilian face of the country s fragile transi-tion, while Burhan has been the country s de facto leader following Bashir s ouster.

Hamdok cited “the fragmentation of the political forces and conflicts between the (military and civil-ian) components of the transition” and said that “despite everything that has been done to reach a consensus… it has not happened”.

Mass protests against the coup have continued even after Hamdok was reinstated, as demonstrators distrust veteran general Burhan and his promise to guide the country toward full democracy.

Protesters also charged that the deal to reinstate Hamdok simply aimed to give the cloak of legiti-macy to the generals, whom they accuse of trying to continue the regime built by Bashir.

Thousands of demonstrators on Sunday braved tear gas, a heavy troop deployment and a telecom-munications blackout to demand a civilian govern-ment.—AFP


Previous articleSudan’s PM resigns as deadly crackdown on protesters goes on
Next articleIran vows revenge for Soleimani killing if Trump not put on trial