Sania Mirza pulls out of US Open after tendon injury

64
Sania Mirza says it is not easy being a working mother

India’s Sania Mirza on Tuesday announced her withdrawal from the US Open because of a torn tendon, adding that the injury would lead to a change in her retirement plans.

The 35-year-old tennis player, who in January announced she would be retiring at the end of the 2022 season, said she sustained the injury while competing at the Canadian Open this month.

After reaching the semifinals of the women’s doubles tournament in Toronto alongside partner Madison Keys, Mirza also played at last week’s Cincinnati Open.

“I just have some not so great news,” the six-time Grand Slam doubles champion wrote on her Instagram story.

“I hurt my forearm/elbow while playing in Canada 2 weeks ago and obviously didn’t realize how bad it was until I got my scans yesterday and unfortunately I have in fact torn a little bit of my tendon. I will be out for a (few) weeks and have pulled out of U.S. Open. This isn’t ideal and it’s terrible timing and it will change some of my retirement plans but I will keep you all posted.”

Moreover, Alexander Zverev, the No. 2-ranked player in the world, has withdrawn from the US Open as he continues to recover from a right ankle injury and subsequent surgery.

The 25-year-old German sustained ligament damage during his semifinal match against Rafael Nadal at the French Open in June, needing to be removed from the court in a wheelchair, and hasn’t played since.

Zverev reached the final at the US Open in 2020, his career-best result at a Grand Slam. After claiming the opening two sets, Zverev ultimately fell to Dominic Thiem in the title match. He reached the semifinals at the tournament in 2021.

American Stefan Kozlov will replace Zverev in the main draw. The 2022 US Open will begin Aug. 29 and end Sept. 11.—AP

 

Previous articlePakistan, India get major boost ahead of crucial Asia Cup 2022
Next article15 more dengue cases reported in RWP