Rice calls for action over media abuse

104
London

Declan Rice said England players could consider boycotting social media in the future if the current abuse of Premier League stars is not resolved.

Former Arsenal and France star Thierry Henry left all of his platforms earlier this week after saying enough had not been done to tackle racist abuse across social media sites.

A host of Premier League players including Manchester United duo Marcus Rashford and Anthony Martial and Chelsea’s Reece James have been subjected to vile online taunts.

Calls for social media companies to take stronger action against internet trolls have so far produced an underwhelming response in the eyes of many Premier League players.

Ahead of Wednesday’s World Cup qualifier against Poland, West Ham midfielder Rice said the England team had yet to discuss the issue as a group but he hinted they could be forced to take action if the situation doesn’t improve.

“I think something definitely has to be done. There has been way too much social media abuse, in the last year especially,” Rice told reporters.

“For someone like me, who runs my own account and has that interaction and love with the fans, I don’t have any problems with social media.—AP