Nigeria’s Kaduna train attack: 168 people still missing

439

Some 168 people are still missing in Nigeria after a deadly attack on a busy train last week, the state rail company says.

It is not clear how many of the 168 have been kidnapped for ransom – some may have gone home without telling the authorities.

Gunmen blew up a section of track between the capital, Abuja, and the northern city of Kaduna last Monday. During the ordeal at least eight passengers were killed. One survivor has told the BBC how a decision to change carriage could have saved his life, and the lives of his family. “I am happy that I am alive and well,” he said on condition of anonymity.

“But I feel so sad for those killed and the injured – it could have been me,” said the man, who almost missed the train altogether but ran with his wife and two children to catch it just in time.

Once on board, the family walked from one carriage to another after fellow passengers had said they were occupying the wrong seats. They had been sitting in coach 17, which was one of those attacked, but moved to coach 12.

“We heard a loud explosion at about 19:45 – it shook the train and then the train ground to a halt,” he said. Suddenly there was the sound of gunfire coming from different directions as the attackers apparently surrounded the train.—AP

Previous articleMoI must close media outlets with invalid licenses: ATRA
Next articleCurfew extended in Rajasthan district amid attacks on Muslims