KU calls for awareness of indoor sources of CO poisoning

79

 

Some 20 per cent kitchens studied in district Central were found to have higher concentrations of carbon monoxide (CO), an odourless and colourless gas that can kill, says a study recently published in Pakistan Journal of Science.

The study “Carbon monoxide concentrations in kitchens of gas-fired burners, Karachi, Pakistan” was conducted by Prof Zafar Iqbal Shams and his team at the Institute of Environmental Studies, Karachi University (KU).

The study investigated the carbon monoxide concentrations in kitchens of middle-income inhabitants residing in 54 bungalows and 25 apartments in district Central“While the study does highlight an issue of public health importance, the results may not be reflective of what’s happening at a larger scale in society,” explained Prof Shams, adding that the team could not widen its scope to lower income areas due to funds’ shortage.

Previous articleIGP announces cash rewards, certificates for police party
Next articleGreen Line time extended for Eid shoppers