Gas suffocation claimed life of at least six family members, including three children, in Hangu on Tuesday.
The tragedy struck the family in the Gulshan Colony of Hangu city where the family went to sleep with their gas heater on.
The gas supply was suspended during the night and when it resumed the gas filled the room where the family was sleeping causing their deaths.
The deceased included a man, two women and three children. The victims had apparently left the gas heater on in their bedroom at night to protect themselves from extreme cold. However, there was gas load shedding and the flame died out.
When the family did not wake up till late in the morning, the neighbours grew suspicious and banged on the doors. Receiving no response, the locals decided to break the door.—INP