Court grants police two-day physical remand of Gill


Gill is fit and having no problem of breathing, doctors say


An Islamabad district and sessions court on Monday granted police two-day physical remand of PTI leader Shahbaz Gill, who has been arrested in connection with a sedition case registered against him.

Earlier in the day, court had directed authorities to present Gill, who had been shifted to the Pakistan Institute of Medical Sciences on Friday.

The court had previously concluded that Gill’s two-day remand in police custody, which was to end on Friday, began late and as such remained incomplete. However, in light of reports on Gill’s health and alleged torture, the court had suspended his handing over to the police. According to the court order, Gill’s “48-hours physical custody subject to pre and post-medical examination” was extended till August 24. It fixed the time of commencement for the 48 hours at 1pm Monday and ordered Gill to be produced in court on Wednesday at, or before, 1pm.

It also directed the investigating officer to follow the high court’s order and allow Gill to meet his legal counsels. The IO was further ordered to “provide every needful medical facility, as and when required” to the PTI leader.

Judicial Magistrate Malik Aman presided over the hearing during which Gill took the stand and asked the judge to see all that has been happening with him.

The judge asked Gill whether he had gotten himself examined by doctors. The PTI leader replied that he had been on a hunger strike since last night and was not being allowed to meet anyone.

He claimed that six to seven people had also tried to “force-feed” him at 3am. Gill alleged that he was also “tied down and shaved” by 10 to 12 men.

During the hearing, Gill also said that he had not been given a fresh set of clothes during the past five days and had also not bathed during this period.

He claimed that clothes had been sent from his home but they had been taken away.

Gill said he was ready to go with the police if he was not tortured. “I should be sent to jail. I am ready to cooperate in the investigation there,” he added.

The PTI leader said the judge could only fathom what the police had done with him, adding that the investigation had continued even during his hospital stay.

“You will hand me over to them to die. I will not appear before you after that then. I am an asthmatic,” Gill told the court.

Meanwhile, the Islamabad police submitted a report in court which stated that Gill was not subjected to any kind of torture starting from his arrest till the time he was sent to Adiala jail.

Meanwhile, Shahbaz Gill has been discharged from the Pakistan Institute of Medical Sciences after being declared “healthy” by the doctors.

“Shahbaz Gill is fit and having no problem of breathing,” the doctors said ahead of his court’s appearance in a sedition case filed against him in Islamabad for inciting hatred within the military.


Previous articleElahi, Moonis discuss political situation with Imran
Next articleIHC to initiate trial against Imran for ‘threatening’ lady judge