The Sindh High Court dismissed the appeals of two banned militant outfit activists against their death sentence in the Sehwan blast case.Appellants Furqan and Nadir were handed down death penalty and other sentences by an anti-terrorism court for involvement in the suicide bomb blast in which more than 70 people were killed and 65 others injured at the Lal Shahbaz Qalandar shrine on February 16, 2017.
According to the prosecution, the appellants being activists of banned outfit Daish, along with absconding co-accused, hatched a plan for the suicide bombing at the shrine. The appellants’ counsel submitted that Nadir was falsely implicated as he had been detained much before the incident and a petition against his illegal confinement had been filed in the court.He said eyewitnesses had falsely implicated him in the case as his pictures were shown in print and electronic media as one of the facilitators.
in the bomb blast. He said the judicial confession of the appellant was not voluntarily as police had tortured him during illegal confinement.The counsel for Furqan submitted that none of the eyewitness had identified him during the identification parade and he should be acquitted of charges. The additional prosecutor general supported the impugned judgment and said that eyewitnesses had identified the appellants as being facilitators who were with the suicide bomber prior to the blast and their testimonies could be safely relied upon.