City roads remained shut as TLP protest enters 3rd day


Protesters attack General Hospital and beat policemen

Amraiz Khan

Almost all main roads, entry and exit points of the provincial metropolis remained blocked on Wednesday as the Tehreek Labbaik Pakistan continued its protest for third consecutive day.

The protesters did not spare anyone or made any concession with anyone. The protests erupted Monday afternoon after TLP Chief Saad Hussain Rizvi was arrested in Lahore.

Main roads in the City were blocked following this development, leaving people stuck in traffic for hours.

Workers of religious party Tehreek Labbaik Pakistan (TLP) while protesting in front of the General Hospital Lahore entered the hospital premises and attacked police personnel who took refuge in the emergency basement of the building to save themselves from the mob.

The protesters entered the hospital and attacked the police personnel in the hospital’s emergency basement.

Meanwhile, Punjab Home Department has made operational its provincial control room headed by Additional Chief Secretary Home Momin Agha for live-reporting about the ongoing protest in multiple cities.

The Home Department has set up a six-hour shift and posted additional secretaries and deputy secretaries. DG rank officers have also been assigned duties in the control room.

Separately, Lahore Police constable (late) Muhammad Afzal, who was martyred due to violence by the protesters, was laid to rest in his native village Pindi Umrah in Shakkargarh, district Narowal. Wing Commander Irfan Elahi laid flowers on behalf of Punjab Rangers Director-General.

Narowal police saluted the deceased where DSP Narowal Malik Khalil laid flowers while participants prayed for the forgiveness of the deceased.

On Tuesday, thousands of protesters clashed with the police. Two police officials in Lahore were killed during the violent protest while hundreds of others got injured – from minor to severe.

Cars destroyed and set ablaze by protesters in different areas of the provincial metropolis and even many citizens were beaten up “for defying the protesters orders.”

The TLP supporters also pelt stones at police officers near different areas and destroyed their vehicles and motorcycles.

On Wednesday, the protests continued in Lahore. At 2:47pm, a group of TLP supporters gathered outside gate three of the Lahore General Hospital and tried to break inside. They pelted stones at police officers too.

According to the police, protesters are out on the streets near New Shadbagh Chowk as well. Traffic wardens, police, and Rangers have been deployed in the area.

The areas in the city that are closed for traffic are: Chungi Amar Sidhu (both sides); Bhatta Chowk; Yateem Khana Chowk; Darogawala Chowk; Karol Ghatti Ring Road (both sides); Scheme Morr;

An Additional District and Sessions court approved the 14-day physical remand of 15 Tehreek-e-Labbaik Pakistan protesters in rioting cases.

According to the police, eight cases have been registered against them at multiple police stations across the city.

The complaints were filed at Shahdara Town, Kot Lakhpat, Nawankot, Chung, Shera Kot and the Misri Shah police stations.

Protesters have been accused of blocking main roads for traffic during the TLP protest and damaging public property.

They set fire to tyres, chanted slogans against the government, broke the windows of cars, and violated coronavirus SOPs.