China on Monday demanded that the US should immediately abandon the “double standards” on the anti-terrorism issue and stop interfering in China’s internal affairs. The US side has not only closed its eyes on the issue relating to Xinjiang, but also attacked Xinjiang’s anti-terrorism efforts through the so-called “anti-terrorism report.”
This despicable practice will certainly be despised by the people of insight in the international community, said spokesperson of the Chinese Foreign Ministry Geng Shuang at a weekly news briefing. He was asked to comment on the recent report issued by US State Department saying, China oppresses Uighur and other Muslim minorities in the name of fighting terrorism and combating extremism in Xinjiang.
The spokesperson said, Xinjiang is the main battlefield for China’s fight against terrorism and extremism. He elaborated that from 1990 to the end of 2016, thousands of terrorist activities took place in Xinjiang, causing a large number of innocent casualties and property losses. Under this situation, Xinjiang adopts anti-terrorism and de-extremization measures, which not only conform to Chinese laws, but also conform to the common concept advocated internationally.
Facts have proved that the relevant measures have achieved good results and have been welcomed and supported by the people of all ethnic groups in Xinjiang. In the past three years, there has not been a case of terror in Xinjiang, and the basic rights of people, including the right to life, health and development have been effectively guaranteed. Since the end of last year, more than 50 foreign delegations and thousands of people have visited Xinjiang, and they have praised Xinjiang for its anti-terrorism and de-extremization work.