Taliban ambush kills 25 Afghan securitymen

116

Kunduz

At least 25 Afghan security force personnel were killed in an ambush blamed on the Taliban, officials said Wednesday, as spiralling violence imperils ongoing peace talks.
The ambush came despite Taliban assurances to Washington last week that they would reduce bloodshed.
Security forces were attacked overnight Tuesday in Takhar province and fighting was ongoing, said Jawad Hejri, a spokesman for the governor, who put the death toll so far at 25. “The Taliban had taken positions in the houses around the area. They ambushed our forces who were there for an operation against the enemy,” he said.
Takhar provincial health director Abdul Qayoum said 34 security personnel had been killed — including the deputy police chief of the province.
The Taliban did not directly take responsibility, but said their fighters had “engaged the enemy” in Takhar to retaliate against security operations carried out against them.
Despite joining peace talks with the Afghan government in Qatar last month, the Taliban have only increased violence in Afghanistan in a bid to wield leverage in the negotiations.—AFP

Previous articleCOAS urges troops to extend support to Indian firing affectees Army Chief at Chamb: Discharge your duties with utmost sincerity and devotion
Next articleSovereign Afghan govt can avert civil war: Hekmatyar India must not transfer Kashmir war to Afghanistan