World number five Dominic Thiem on Thursday withdrew from Wimbledon after picking up a wrist injury suffered in Mallorca this week.
“I’m really sorry for pulling out of the upcoming three tournaments I had in my Calendar — Wimbledon, Hamburg and Gstaad,” the 27-year-old Austrian wrote on Twitter. “I am determined to come back stronger.”
Thiem is the second top 10 player to pull out of Wimbledon after two-time champion Rafael Nadal said he was sitting out the tournament to rest after his French Open semi-final exit.
Wimbledon, which was cancelled last year due to the pandemic, starts at the All England Club on Monday.
Thiem has endured a tough season and has already said he will skip the Tokyo Olympics to concentrate on defending his US Open title.—AP