SC rejects progress report in girls’ kidnapping case

25

 

Rejecting the progress report submitted by the Sindh Police and Joint Investigation Team (JIT) in the case of kidnapping of two girls by their own father in Karachi, the Supreme Court (SC) on Thursday made it clear that if the girls were not recovered by the next hearing, action would be taken against the Sindh Inspector General of Police (IGP).

The court, however, accepting the request made by Prosecutor General, Sindh, granted him two weeks to further investigate the case.

A three-member bench of the SC, headed by Chief Justice of Pakistan (CJP) Justice Umar Ata Bandial, heard the case. CJP Justice Umar Ata Bandial, in his remarks, said the new report submitted today, had nothing new it.

“It is merely juggling of words,” he said, and added, “There is nothing concrete in it in terms of evidence.”   The CJP, on the occasion, also admonished the SSP South, Karachi.

“Had the police been interested in solving the case, the girls’ mother would not have been running from pillar to the post for justice for the last five years,” he commented.

CJP Bandial went on to say tracing somebody in these modern times was not a difficult task. “It has been five years now that a man is absconding, and the police have been unable to get to him,” he added.

Justice Sajjad Ali Shah asked who had been financially assisting the accused (girls’ father) for the last five years. SSP South replied that in this connection he had grilled those who remained in contact with him.

SSP South told the court that when the police carried out a raid at a place in Karachi, it backfired and questions were raised over the raid.  He said that the man heading the JIT belonged to Intelligence Bureau (IB).

The CJP asked him to use his brain while probing the case.  Prosecutor General, Sindh said that the accused might have got his national identity card (NIC) changed. “I pray to the apex court to issue a notice to the NADRA,” he said.

CJP Bandial summoned the Sindh IGP and members of the JIT on the next hearing of the case. “All these officials are directed to attend the next hearing via a video link,” he said.

Later, the court adjourned hearing of the case for two weeks.   Dr. Mehreen Baloch of Karachi had approached the court for the recovery of her two daugh-ters, who, she alleged, had been kidnapped by none other than their own father.

Previous articleMurad orders setting up youth centres in all Karachi districts
Next articleSindh govt comes out to openly supports Shahrukh Jatoi