Former Pakistan captain Ramiz Raja has said that Indian Test opener Prithvi Shaw’s incident has a lesson for other young cricketers that they need to pay respect to cricket. Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) suspended the 18-year-old batsman on Tuesday until November 15, 2019 for a doping violation. According to BCCI, the penalty on Shaw was imposed after he inadvertently ingested a prohibited substance, which could be commonly found in cough syrups.
“It’s a big blow to the young cricketer because at a time when he is at the peak of his career he will stay away from cricket for eight months,” Ramiz said on his YouTube page ‘Ramiz Speaks’. Ramiz was of the view that such incidents usually take place at a time when the young talented cricketers rise to fame, they start taking things for granted and cross the set limits.
He said that it was clearly mentioned in World Anti-Doping Agency (WADU) regulation as which sort of cough syrups and medicines the players could take and which they should not. “I’m sure Shaw would have leant a very important lesson after this incident that if you don’t give respect to cricket and if you will cross the boundaries then cricket will bite you back,” he added.—APP