Vawda detained for unlawful rally on Shahrah-e-Faisal

Multiple rallies jam Karachi traffic; Woman dies due to road block; three dead in accident

Staff Reporter

Karachi—A police team, led by SSP Malir Rao Anwar, on Wednesday detained Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf leader Faisal Vawda for taking out an ‘unlawful’ rally on Shahrah-e-Faisal in Karachi.
The police resorted to baton-charge to disperse the participants of the rally, which caused heavy traffic jam on Karachi’s main artery.
The PTI leader has been shifted to Airport police station. DSP Iftikhar Lodhi told media that a pregnant woman lost her life after she failed to reach the hospital due to massive traffic jam.
It is astonishing that no body knew about the purpose of the rally. He said that some of the participants said it was to condemn the Indian atrocities in Kashmir, while some said that the rally was against corruption.
Responding on the development, another PTI leader Imran Ismail said that his party has no direct link with the protest led by Faisal Vawda. He, however, confirmed that Faisal was taken to Airport police station.
“Faisal Vawda should have taken PTI senior leadership into confidence about the protest,” he said, adding that Shahrah-e-Faisal should not have been blocked.However, he said that the PTI leadership stood by the arrested leader.Meanwhile, heavy traffic Wednesday choked Karachi’s main arteries due to multiple rallies in the city.
The gridlocks were witnessed on Shahrah-e-Faisal and M A Jinnah Road due to rallies being staged by Pak Sarzameen Party and a civil society group.
SSP Traffic Qamar Rizvi appealed to the people to take alternate routes to reach airport. He ruled out any relief till the rallies disperse. He further stated that nobody was allowed to take out rally on Shahrah-e-Faisal.
Earlier in the day, 13 kilometers long traffic jam was reported on Super Highway due to deadly road accident that left 3 people dead.
The incident took place after a passenger coach carrying more than 80 people collided head-on with a trailer on Super Highway near Karachi toll plaza wednesday morning. The accident left three people dead on the spot with more than 10 others, including women, critically wounded.
They were rushed to Abbasi Shaheed hospital. The ill-fated coach was heading to Mansehra city of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa from Karachi.

Share this post

    scroll to top