Syrian forces battle IS, recapture historic town of Palmyra

dt.common.streams.StreamServer.jpg

Palmyra

Syrian government forces battling the militant Islamic State (IS) group re-entered Palmyra on Thursday in their quest to again take the historic town they had lost to the militants in December, state media reported.
The SANA news agency reported that government troops entered the town’s archaeological site, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, around mid-day, then the town itself, as IS militants fled the area.
The Syrian government’s push has relied on the support from Lebanon’s Hezbollah group and Russian air cover, according to Hezbollah’s media outlets.
IS defenses had begun to crumble on Sunday, with the government troops reaching the town’s outskirts on Tuesday.
Activist-run Palmyra News Network said the advancing forces pounded the desert town famed for its ancient Roman monuments and grand stone theater with artillery and airstrikes during the day.
This is the government’s second campaign to retake the desert town. It seized Palmyra from IS militants last March only to lose it again 10 months later. Before the civil war gripped Syria in 2011, Palmyra was a top tourist attraction, drawing tens of thousands of visitors each year.
The town, according to Mohammed Homsi, the director of the activist-run Palmyra News Network, is almost entirely deserted. Islamic State fighters reportedly evacuated the last of their relatives on Sunday, he said.
Archeologists have decried what they say is extensive damage to its ruins. Drone footage released by Russia’s Defense Ministry earlier this month showed new damage to the facade of Palmyra’s Roman-era theater and the adjoining Tetrapylon a set of four monuments with four columns each at the center of the colonnaded road leading to the theater.
A 2014 report by a UN research agency disclosed satellite evidence of looting while the ruins were under Syrian military control. Opposition factions have also admitted to looting the antiquities for funds.
The IS group has twice used the town’s Roman theater as a stage for mass killings, most recently in January, when they shot and beheaded a number of captives they said had tried to escape their December advance.
Other IS killings were said to have taken place in the courtyard of the Palmyra museum and in a former Russian base in the town.
The developments in Palmyra came against the backdrop of Syrian peace talks which are underway in Geneva but without any tangible breakthroughs so far.
Diplomats and negotiators have set their sights on modest achievements in the latest round of negotiations, after a week of discussions centering on setting an agenda for future talks.
On Thursday, UN Special Envoy to Syria Staffan de Mistura is due for another round of meetings with both the government delegation and opposition groups.
Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Gennady Gatilov told reporters Wednesday that “the parties have agreed to … discuss all issues in a parallel way, on several tracks.”
After a Damascus request, the issue of terrorism is also on the table, he had said. Russia is a key sponsor of Syrian President Bashar Assad’s government in Damascus.
A top Syrian opposition negotiator, Nasr al-Hariri, said the talks would likely culminate in a closing ceremony on Friday and the parties may be back in Geneva for further discussions in a few weeks.
Setting the agenda and strategy to guide discussions has proven difficult as the main conflicting parties dig in their heels over form and semantics.—Agencies

Share this post

PinIt
    scroll to top