State terror claims another life, kids special target


‘Age of Pharaoh has re-emerged in Kashmir’

Srinagar—A 55-year-old woman died on the spot at Bemina on the outskirts of Srinagar city as government forces were chasing protesters, an eye-witness said. Another eye-witness said “Virtually all the seven hells have broken in Srinagar and in the suburbs.
Indian occupying forces are chasing even in-house peaceful people. Kids are being particularly hunted down as if the age of Pharaoh of Egypt has re-emerged in 21st century in Kashmir”.
The women identified as Jamila Rasheed, wife of Rasheed Ahmad, resident of Nundresh Colony B, had stepped out of her home to check the situation when she died. Locals said the government forces deployed on the road had shot a marble at her from a slingshot, thrown stones at her house, and cocked the trigger of a gun, which caused her death.
However, a police officer at Batamaloo police station told Kashmir Reader that he was unaware of the incident. Following her death, the situation became tense in the area.
The state government on Thursday foiled the march to martyrs’ graveyard (Mazar-e-Shouhada) by imposing curfew, detaining resistance leaders, and waylaying the marches. Clashes broke out at many places in which dozens were injured. At SMHS hospital, 18 patients were admitted. Among them was a youth hit by a bullet in his abdomen, and a teenager from Gurbazar with head injuries. All of them are stable, the hospital superintendent Dr Nazir Chaudhary told Kashmir Reader.
The pro-freedom leadership of Syed Ali Geelani, Mohammad Yasin Malik and Mirwaiz Umar Farooq had called for the march to martyrs’ graveyard as part of its protest programme to “end India’s rule in Kashmir.”
The march was called to pay tributes to senior resistance leader Sheikh Mohammad Aziz who was killed by government forces on the Baramulla- Muzaffarabad highway in 2008 and subsequently buried in the graveyard.
Authorities sealed all roads leading to the graveyard, imposed strict curfew, pitched mobile bunkers and laid barricades to waylay the march. However, at many places curfew was defied by people who took out marches towards the graveyard. The historic Aali Masjid was also sealed by the authorities.
Syed Ali Geelani and Mirwaiz Umar Farooq were detained by police when they tried to step out of their residences to join the marches.
In old city area of Kani Kadal, a march to the martyrs’ graveyard was attacked with teargas shells. In Nawa Kadal, scores of people led by resistance leader Masroor Abbas Ansari took out a march from Khanqah-e-Sokhta towards the martyrs’ graveyard at Eidgah.
Government forces waylaid them with teargas shells and detained Masroor Abbas Ansari in the nearby police station. He has not been released yet.
In the afternoon, another march was taken out from Nawa Kadal. It dispersed peacefully when a razor-wire barricade at Safa Kadal bridge blocked their movement. JKLF leader Bashir Ahmad Kashmiri, who led the march, said that “martyrs are heroes of Kashmiris and every Kashmiri is indebted to these great sons of the soil.”
At Pampore, the hometown of Sheikh Mohammad Aziz, police foiled a programme to commemorate his death.
In Talgam village of Pulwama, and in Imam Sahib and Wechi villages of Shopian district, separate seminars were held on the ongoing movement. It was unanimously decided that the leadership’s programme will be strictly followed.
In Rajouri town of Jammu region, a complete shutdown was observed, the call for which was issued by religious scholars.—KR

Share this post

    scroll to top