Shutdown, march towards Eidgah in IOK tomorrow


In occupied Kashmir, complete shutdown will be observed and a march towards the Martyrs’ Graveyard at Eidgah in Srinagar will be conducted, tomorrow, to mark the martyrdom anniversaries of prominent liberation leaders, Mirwaiz Moulvi Muhammad Farooq and Khawaja Abdul Ghani Lone.
Call for the shutdown and march has been given by the joint resistance leadership to pay tributes to the martyrs.
Mirwaiz Moulvi Muhammad Farooq was shot dead by unidentified gunmen at his residence in Srinagar on 21st May 1990. 70 mourners were killed in Hawal area of the city when Indian troops fired upon the funeral procession of the martyred. On the same day, in 2002, Khawaja Abdul Ghani Lone was killed by unknown assailants when he was returning from Eidgah after addressing a public gathering.
Indian police arrested several workers of Jammu and Kashmir Awami Action Committee, headed by Mirwaiz Umar Farooq, at Rajouri Kadal in Srinagar, today, when they tried to hold a rally in connection with the Martyrdom Week. The puppet authorities imposed curfew-like restrictions in downtown Srinagar while all roads leading to the office of Awami Action Committee were sealed. The authorities continued to put Mirwaiz Umar Farooq under house arrest. A large number of people including women donated blood during a blood donation camp organized by Awami Action Committee at Jamia Masjid in Srinagar as part of the Martyrdom Week programmes. Free medicines were also distributed among the patients on the occasion.
Meanwhile, the authorities disallowed a meeting of All Parties Hurriyet Conference at Hyderpora residence of its Chairman, Syed Ali Gilani. The meeting was scheduled to discuss the biased attitude of Indian media against the APHC.
However, a large number of Indian troops and police personnel cordoned off the residence of Syed Ali Gilani and no one was allowed to enter in. Later, addressing a press conference in Srinagar, APHC leader, Nayeem Ahmed Khan, condemned Indian media campaign of maligning the Kashmir freedom movement and creating a wedge between Hurriyet leadership and the people of Kashmir.
The APHC Chairman, Syed Ali Gilani, in a statement strongly condemned the shifting of ailing Dukhtaran-e-Millat Chairperson, Aasiya Andrabi, to Amphala Jail in Jammu. Senior APHC leader, Agha Syed Hassan Al-Moosvi Al-Safvi, addressing a gathering in Badgam said that the world community could not turn away its eyes from the Kashmir dispute and the Kashmiris’ legitimate struggle for right to self-determination for long.
The Paris-based Reporters Without Borders in a press release urged India to restore access to social media platforms in occupied Kashmir. Social media has been blocked in the occupied territory since last month when protests against Indian illegal hold on Jammu and Kashmir intensified.—KMS

Share this post

    scroll to top