Scandals in Rio overshadow Bolt’s advance

e47cb8be44a9a6fef355d46d90ce6e02e03bb17a.jpg

Rio De Janeiro—Brazilian police detained two US swimmers and arrested a top International Olympic Committee official as scandal overshadowed the Rio Games and Usain Bolt’s progress toward a new gold.
Jack Conger and Gunnar Bentz were taken off a flight leaving Rio de Janeiro by authorities investigating doubts over their claim of having been mugged.
That came hours after top European Olympic official Patrick Hickey was arrested in an investigation into black market Olympic ticket sales.
Conger and Bentz along with star US swimmer Ryan Lochte and squad member James Feigen said they were held up at gunpoint in the early hours of Sunday.
However Brazilian judge Keyla Blank ordered the passports of all four to be seized to prevent them leaving the country. Lochte had already gone home.
The Globo media organization posted a video online showing Conger and Bentz walking into a police station on Wednesday.
The G1 news site, which is part of Globo, reported that Bentz, 20, and Conger, 21, were detained for questioning and that Feigen, 26, was still in the country.
Bentz and Conger left the airport in the middle of the night in a car that passed by a crowd of journalists, according to an AFP reporter. They were scheduled to appear before Rio tourism police on Thursday.
The four made headlines with their terrifying account while returning from a party.
Lochte said they were held up by muggers posing as police as they left a party just after 4:00am. In interviews, he described how he had a hand gun put to his head and handed over his money and wallet.
However, the judge said their story was full of inconsistencies.
US television channel NBC quoted witnesses as saying the swimmers were at the party until daybreak.
And Britain’s Daily Mail obtained video surveillance showing the four laughing as they returned to the athletes’ village at 6.56am on Sunday.
Hickey, an IOC executive member, head of the European Olympic Committees and the Irish national committee, spent Wednesday night in hospital after being detained at his luxury hotel.
Accused of ticket scalping, ambush marketing and conspiracy after tickets were seized from another Irish businessman, Hickey has “temporarily” stood down from his posts.
Following a raid similar to the arrest of seven top FIFA officials at a Zurich hotel last year, Hickey was shown in media video answering his hotel room door unclothed before putting on a bath robe.—AFP

Share this post

PinIt
    scroll to top