Practical steps to stop blasphemous contents on social media stressed

Islamabad

Justice Shoukat Aziz Siddiqui on Friday said that Interior Ministry will have to take practical steps to check blasphemous material on social media. Islamabad High Court (IHC) judge also said that if authorities could not stop blasphemous material, then there was no need to have such departments.
Justice Siddiqui remarked this while hearing plea challenging blasphemous contents allegedly shared by some individuals on Youtube and Facebook accounts. During the course of hearing representative of Ministry of Interior submitted report of the high level committee, presided by Secretary Interior which formulate the policy to tackle the matter.
While submitting report, he stated that all pages having blasphemous contents on social media had been blocked and a solid policy for future, had been formulated.
Justice Shaukat Aziz Siddiqui observed that interior ministry should be serious to tackle this menace with iron hands as it relates to people’s faiths. He said : ‘I can not bear any thing wrong’ adding that whatever department or person involved in this serious crime, should be exposed.
Subsequently, the Bench adjourned further hearing to date in office due to shortage of time and sought progress report from the ministry till then. Earlier, Shoaib Safdar, the petitioner, alleged that a specific person and a non-Muslim were spreading blasphemous contents, by making accounts on the Facebook and Youtube.
He informed the Bench that petitioner had approached the Federal Investigation Authority (FIA) complaining about the accused. He claimerd that no action was taken till date. He requested the Bench seeking directions for authorities for blockage of blasphemous pages on social media.—APP

Share this post

PinIt
    scroll to top