Police arrests 62 youth in 24 hours


Indian police chase Kashmiri protesters during a strike called by separatist groups against the recent killings in south Kashmir which they say were carried out by Indian security forces, in Srinagar September 21, 2013. REUTERS/Danish Ismail (INDIAN-ADMINISTERED KASHMIR - Tags: CIVIL UNREST)

Kashmir revolt enters 100 days

Srinagar—The unrest in Kashmir, triggered by the killing of 21-year-old Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani, completed 100 days on Monday.
A police official said curfew was not imposed in any part of the Valley today. He, however, said restrictions on assembly of more than four people remained in force across the Kashmir to prevent people from staging anti-India protests.
He said the cops were deployed in strength in sensitive areas to maintain law and order and foil protests. The life in Srinagar and other parts of the Valley remained affected due to the separatists-sponsored shutdown. All shops, business establishments and petrol pumps remained closed while public transport was off the roads.
However, some private vehicles were plying on the roads. Due to curbs and shutdown, life in Valley remained crippled for the 100th consecutive day today. Kashmir has been witnessing unrest after killing of Burhan Wani on July 8. At least 91 people have been killed and over 13000 injured in forces action in last 100 days in the Valley.
Meanwhile, protests erupted in Sonawar after an Imam of a local mosque identified as Reyaz Ahmad of Kupwara was arrested by police.
Chanting pro-freedom and anti-India slogans, the protestors took to roads and demanded release of the arrested Imam. They pelted stones on the police and CRPF men, who tried to disperse them. The cops fired tear gas shells and some PAVA shells on the protesting youth.
Clashes also erupted in a village in Hajin area of north Kashmir’s Bandipora district after forces were laying a cordon around the village after inputs about presence of militants.
A joint party of army and police cordoned off the Bonikhan village after inputs about the presence of militants in a residential house.
However, people of the village, especially youth took to streets and staged protests. The policemen fired several teargas shells to disperse the protesters, who pelted stones on them. The clashes continued for some time.
The authorities had on Friday night restored outgoing call facility on prepaid mobile phone connections after three months in view of the improving situation. However, mobile Internet services continued to remain suspended across Kashmir.—RK

Share this post

    scroll to top