No major offensive planned in Idlib: Lavrov

Putin-Erdogan.jpg

Erdogan to hold talks with Putin tomorrow

Berlin

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said on Friday that the Syrian regime is not preparing a major offensive against the opposition-held Idlib, adding that Moscow will do everything to protect civilians.
Russia-backed regime forces have massed around Idlib in recent weeks, sparking fears of an imminent air and ground attack to retake the last major opposition bastion.
“What is being presented at the moment as the beginning of a Russian-backed offensive by Syrian forces is not a faithful representation of the facts,” said Lavrov during a German-Russian forum in Berlin.
“Syrian forces and we ourselves are simply reacting to the attacks coming from the zone of Idlib,” he argued.
Lavrov also said that Russia was concerned about civilians’ welfare.
“We will take care on these issues, we will establish humanitarian corridors, set up cease-fire zones and we are doing everything to ensure that the civilian population would not suffer,” he said.
Turkey said it was talking to all parties in the Syrian conflict to prevent an offensive on Idlib ahead of talks between Russian and Turkish leaders.
Ankara failed last week to win agreement for a cease-fire from Russia and Iran, but there has been a recent lull in airstrikes and a pro-Damascus source indicated a ground attack may not be imminent.
“We are making an effort for a cease-fire in Idlib,” he said, repeating Turkey’s call for targeted operations against extremists, including the Tahrir Al-Sham alliance, instead of an indiscriminate onslaught.
“We are ready to cooperate with everyone to fight terrorist organizations. But killing everyone — civilians, women, children — like this in the name of fighting terrorist organizations is not right and is not humane,” he said on a visit to Pakistan.
President Tayyip Erdogan will hold talks in Russia on Monday with Vladimir Putin to discuss the Syrian crisis, 10 days after similar talks in Tehran, Turkish and Russian officials said.
A pro-Assad source in Syria said: “There is patience and repositioning currently. The operation is not canceled, but we have time.”
A second source, an official in the regional alliance that supports Assad, said there was a “political tug of war” over Idlib, accompanied by airstrikes on militants from Tahrir Al-Sham.—AFP/Reuters

Share this post

PinIt
    scroll to top