Libya denies presence of French forces

Benghazi—Libya’s internationally recognized government denied reports that French Special Forces had been fighting the Islamic State group in the troubled country, after the rival administration in Tripoli confirmed them.
The recognized government “didn’t allow and won’t allow any foreign forces to enter Libyan territories”, spokesman Hatem el-Ouraybi told official news agency LANA.
“Our brave soldiers in the Arab Libyan Armed Forces are the ones who freed Benghazi from the hand of terror without any support from the international community,” he said.
France’s Le Monde newspaper on Wednesday said special forces and members of the DGSE external security service were present in Libya for “clandestine operations” against ISIS, thought to number several thousand. It also claimed that an air strike in November that killed the top ISIS leader in the country—AFP

Share this post

PinIt
    scroll to top