Italy warned about Milan based IS cell, expels imam

Rome—Libyan authorities have warned Italy about an Islamic State cell based in the Milan area with links to one of the jihadist group’s battle-hardened veterans, Italian media reported Sunday.
The existence of the network was reportedly revealed by documents seized by Libyan agents after government forces took over an IS headquarters in the city of Sirte earlier this week.
The Italy-based militants were said to be associates of Abu Nassim, 47, a Tunisian who lived in Italy for most of his 20s and subsequently fought in Afghanistan and Syria, before becoming an IS commander in Libya.
The reports came as concerns grow that IS fighters dispersed from Sirte could cross the Mediterranean on migrant boats and mount “lone wolf” terror attacks on Italian territory. Security services have been put on a state of high alert for the peak holiday season and Interior Minister Angelino Alfano has stepped up expulsions of suspected jihadist sympathisers.
Late on Saturday, Alfano said he had ordered the deportation of Hosni Hachemi Ben Hassem, a Tunisian imam based in a mosque at Andria in Puglia.—AP

Share this post

PinIt
    scroll to top