India to approach Islamabad for release of soldier

New Delhi—In a change of tack, the Indian government will diplomatically pursue the release of Chandu Babulal Chavan , the Indian soldier who crossed over into Azad Kashmir on September 29.
This is significant because until now only the Indian army DGMO (Director General of Military Operations), Ranbir Singh, had sought Chavan’s release from his Pakistan counterpart.
The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) had so far kept away from Chavan’s case, allowing the army to handle the situation.
A 37 Rashtriya Rifles sepoy, Chavan was posted in the Mendhar sector in J&K when he was reported missing. On October 2, defence minister Manohar Parrikar had said that a ‘well established mechanism through the DGMO’ had been activated to seek Chavan’s release. He had also said that since the situation was tense, it would take some time to bring him back.—INP

Share this post

PinIt
    scroll to top