Hundreds march carrying Pakistan flags injured in Indian firing


Gilani, Mirwaiz arrested, curfew further tightened;1.3 million pellets used on Kashmiris

Observer Report

Srinagar—In occupied Kashmir, hundreds of people were injured when Indian troops used brute force to prevent people from staging demonstrations against civilian killings and conducting a march towards Aaripanthan in Badgam Friday.
Call for the march was jointly given by the All Parties Hurriyet Conference Chairman, Syed Ali Gilani, and Hurriyet leaders, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and Muhammad Yasin Malik, to pay tributes to the four people who were martyred by Indian forces in Aaripanthan on Tuesday. The Hurriyet leaders had announced to offer Juma prayers in the area.
Defying curfew and other restrictions, people in large numbers took to the streets in Srinagar, Badgam, Ganderbal, Kangan, Beerwah, Bandipore, Kupwara, Islamabad, Bijbehara, Baramulla, Sopore, Palhallan, Pattan, Pulwama, Shopian, Kulgam and other areas and held massive demonstrations against the killing spree unleashed by Indian police and troops in the Kashmir Valley.
They shouted pro-freedom, pro-Pakistan and anti-India slogans. They also waved Pakistani flags. Indian troops and police personnel fired pellets, bullets and teargas shells to disperse the protesters at various places injuring hundreds of people.
Hurriyet leader, Masroor Abbas, led a rally and a sit-in protest in Nawa Kadal area of Srinagar and the people of Bhaderwah area of Jammu region observed shutdown against civilian killings in the Valley.
The puppet authorities continued to impose strict curfew and other restrictions across the Kashmir Valley on the 42nd consecutive day, Friday, while all roads leading to Aaripanthan were sealed.
Indian police arrested Syed Ali Gilani and Mirwaiz Umar Farooq when they tried to lead the march. Other leaders including Muhammad Yasin Malik, Shabbir Ahmed Shah and Agha Syed Hassan Al-Moosvi Al-Safvi were kept under illegal detention to stop them from leading the march.
People were not allowed to offer Juma prayers at Srinagar’s historic Jamia Masjid and other major mosques of the territory. Indian troops beat up several newspaper hawkers in Srinagar when they were delivering newspapers in the city.
Syed Ali Gilani in a statement in Srinagar deplored that India had turned the Kashmir Valley into a big slaughter house where people especially youth were being killed on daily basis. Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and Muhammad Yasin Malik in their statements said that India’s brutal tactics could not suppress the liberation sentiment of the Kashmiri people and they would continue their struggle till it reached its logical conclusion.
Meanwhile, Indian paramilitary Central Reserve Police Force disclosed before the High Court of occupied Kashmir that the personnel of armed forces used 1.3 million pellets in 32 days on protesters in the territory. It said 3,000 pellet cartridges, around 1.6 million pellets, were fired from the pump action guns. Since 8th July, this year, besides the killing of 82 civilians, over 8,000 people have sustained injuries due to the firing of pellets, bullets and teargas shells. More than 200 have been hit in the eyes by the pellets and many of them have lost the eyesight in one or both the eyes.

Share this post

    scroll to top