Gilani rejects paying ransom for son’s release

Staff Reporter

Lahore—Former prime minister Yousuf Raza Gilani on Friday rejected the ‘rumours’ circulating on social media regarding the release of his son Ali Haider Gilani on ransom, after three years of detention.
“All people on social media are not our friends. There may be some other people who do not like us,” the ex-premier said in response to a question whether ransom money was paid for his son’s release.
Speaking to reporters outside his Lahore residence, Gilani said his son was recovered after a successful military operation carried out by the US and Afghan forces in Afghanistan.
“There had been a military operation on a foreign country’s soil, leaving several al Qaeda terrorists dead. This resulted in the release of Ali Haider from Afghanistan.”
The PPP leader lauded the efforts of US and Afghan forces for the safe recovery of his son.
“The credit goes to the forces of United States and Afghanistan. I appreciate them.”
Gilani said he received several phone calls, congratulating him over his son’s recovery. “US ambassador [to Pakistan] felicitated me over the phone and said he would have personally welcomed him [Haider] if he had arrived in Islamabad.”

Share this post

PinIt
    scroll to top