EU-Turkey migrant deal collapsing: Juncker

Vienna—European Commission head Jean-Claude Juncker said that the EU’s deal with Turkey on halting the flow of migrants towards the bloc is at risk of breaking down, in comments published Saturday.
“The risk is big. The success so far of the pact is fragile. President (Recep Tayyip) Erdogan has already hinted several times that he wants to scrap it,” Juncker told Austrian daily Kurier.
“(If that happens) then we can expect migrants to start coming to Europe again,” he told the paper in an interview to be published on Saturday.
The March accord between the European Union and Turkey succeeded in stemming the flow of migrants but there are concerns that it could fall apart after a failed coup against Erdogan on July 15.
A subsequent purge in Turkey has seen thousands of arrests among the army, the police and judiciary, and hundreds have lost their jobs in every major Turkish ministry.—Agencies

Share this post

PinIt
    scroll to top