England yet to decide on BD tour

London—England will not make a decision on whether to go ahead with a tour of Bangladesh later this year until a security probe of the country has been completed, assistant coach Paul Farbrace said Friday. The squad are due to fly to Bangladesh on September 30 for three one-day internationals and two Test matches.
Reports in the British press Friday suggested England players would be allowed to skip the trip without endangering their long-term future in international cricket even if longstanding security advisor Reg Dickason gave the go-ahead to the tour.
There have been concerns about the viability of England’s tour, the first leg of an off-season programme that features a subsequent Test series in India, ever since 29 people were killed in a deadly terror attack in Dhaka last month.
“We had a conversation with both the Test and the one-day squad at least 10 or 12 days before Reg went on the trip, and we all agreed we wouldn’t spend any time talking about Bangladesh,” said Farbrace after stumps on the second day of the fourth Test between England and Pakistan at The Oval on Friday.
“Until they get back and have made their report, there’s absolutely nothing for us to decide at the moment. “There’s been no discussion on players being allowed to opt out of the tour.”
Farbrace added: “We’ve made a group decision as players and managers (that) we’re not even going to talk about it until Reg is back—so the idea that players will be allowed to opt out … has certainly not come from within our team and is certainly not something we’ve talked about.”— AFP

Share this post

PinIt
    scroll to top