Curfew Day 51: Indian forces atrocities soaring in Valley, death toll 100


Srinagar—At least 50 people were injured in the day-long clashes with the forces across Kashmir, reports and witnesses said Sunday. With the fresh demise, the death toll in the past 51 days of widespread unrest has reached 100 with more than 8000 persons sustaining serious injuries, over 500 of them injured by pellets firing, depriving them of eye sights for ever.
South Kashmir: Witnesses said that three youth jumped into river Jhelum near Marhama-Sangam to escape from the forces who came charging and firing pellets and lobbing tear canisters on protesters near Kiapora village of Marhama on Friday evening. “While two of them managed to swim to the banks safely, one remained untraced until today morning when his body was fished out from the river,” locals said. Three people had sustained pellet injuries in the forces action.
CRPF spokesman admitted to the media that the CRPF men are supposed to chase the stone-pelting protesters. “What can you expect from CRPF men when there is a stone-pelting mob? We are supposed to chase them,” he said.
As soon as the body of Khan was fished out from river Jehlum, locals came out and held protest demonstration at Sangam and Marhama. “People then carried his body to his native village of Dadoo where his funeral prayers were held amid pro-freedom and anti-India slogans,” reports said.
He was laid to rest amid sobs. A dozen people were injured after the government forces burst teargas shells and fired pellets to halt an advancing rally in twin villages of Bugam and Bolsoo in Kulgam district.
“The forces personnel ransacked the houses and thrashed the inmates without any provocation,” residents alleged. They said as people came out to protest, forces fired pellets and lobbed tear gas canisters. “At least 12 people sustained injuries who were admitted in District hospital Kulgam and Anantnag,” reports said. They said two of the seriously injured- one of whom was identified as Suhail Ahmad – had pellet injuries in eyes and head and were referred to Srinagar.
However, the pro-freedom rally was later held in restive Bugam, where no vote was polled during 2014 assembly election out of total of around 6000. Witnesses said around 20,000 people attended the rally where pro-freedom slogans were raised and Pakistani flags waved.
People from several Kulgam villages like Bolsoo, Mohanpora, Areh, Bachroo, Tarigam, Yaripora, Frisal and Kujar, Nehama, Pombay, Chawlagam, attended the Ittehadi Millat (unity) rally of various sects, they said. Another pro-freedom rally in the district was held in Nowpora-Kharpora village of Qaimoh. Pro-freedom rallies were also organized in Kanjivular village of adjoining Shopian district and Yaar village of Pulwama. An all-women rally was also held at Barbugh in Imam Sahib area Shopian. Massive protest demonstrations were held in Chandigam- Rajpora- native village of a youth Shakeel Ahmad- killed in forces firing in Hall village. Shakeel, a BA 1st year student had passed class 12th with 80 percent marks. Curfew remained in force in Anantnag, Pulwama, Pampore, Kulgam and Shopian towns for 50 consecutive day. Despite intermittent rains, reports of protests and clashes were also received from Kaimoh and adjoining villages of Khudwani, Redwani in Kulgam district and Doochnipora villages of Bijbehara.
Locals in Dochnipora villages – Kanilwan, Naanil, Veer, Gur- alleged that army men removed the banners, posters and photographs of militants pasted on walls of the village. There have been reports of massive crackdown against protesters with reports of nocturnal raids and arrests all over South Kashmir. Late evening reports said that clashes broke out at Nambal village of Mattan, in which four youth sustained injuries. Clashes were reported from Sangam area of Anantnag district also. Meanwhile, police raided the medial camp set up by the local youth in the premises of district hospital Anantnag and threatened to set it ablaze in case they don’t close it. Reports said that cops snatched the identity cards and cell phones of volunteers, a group of volunteers alleged.
Three minors detained, beaten up: People of Kaimoh alleged that paramilitary forces rounded up three minors and beat them up mercilessly. “The minors aged between 8 and 12 were picking apples from their orchards when CRPF men suddenly appeared, got hold of them, and took them along. They were severely beaten up with bamboo sticks and gun butts, detained and later released in the evening,” said the locals and family members. They identified the minors as Basit Rehman, 12; Huzaib, 8 and Saahil, 10 from Gulshanabad-Kaimoh. “The minors have received bruises all over the body.”
While authorities imposed strict curbs across Srinagar to foil the march to Badami Bagh Cantonment that houses the Army’s 15 Corps headquarters, witnesses said all the roads leading to BB Cant were sealed with barbed wires amid heavy deployment of Police and Army. Army vehicles could be seen at various points from Pantha Chowk to Sonwar.
No one was allowed to move on the road, witnesses said. Army men deployed on the road had erected red flags besides a barricade a few hundred meters away from the main entrance gate of the 15 Corps headquarters.—GK

Share this post

    scroll to top