Complete shutdown in Valley against killings


Curfew, curbs in Kulgam, Shopian


In occupied Kashmir, normal life was crippled by a complete shutdown, today, against the killings of Kashmiri youth by Indian troops in Frisal area of Kulgam district.
Call for the strike was given by the joint resistance leadership comprising Syed Ali Gilani, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and Mohammad Yasin Malik. All shops, commercial establishments, educational institutions, and petrol stations were closed while public transport was off the road in Srinagar and other parts of the Valley. The leadership has also called for a march towards Kulgam on Wednesday against the massacre of the innocent Kashmiri youth.
Meanwhile, the authorities imposed curfew and other restrictions in Kulgam and Shopian districts to prevent anti-India rallies and protests over the killing of unarmed civilians in Kulgam, yesterday. The troops were deployed in strength in all parts of the territory in the wake of Kulgam killings. Despite curfew and restrictions, thousands of people attended the funeral prayers of the martyred youth in different areas of South Kashmir. Pro-freedom slogans were raised and Pakistani flag was hoisted at many places on the occasion.
People flouting restrictions came out of their houses in Kulgam and Pulwama areas and staged forceful anti-India protest demonstrations against the brutalities of Indian forces. Several people were injured when the troops used brute force on protesters in Kaimoh.
APHC General Secretary, Shabbir Ahmad Shah and other Hurriyet leaders in their statements condemned the use of excessive force by Indian army and police against civilians in Kulgam district. They said that Indian forces were always in search of an excuse to target the innocent people.
Delegations of Tehreek-e-Hurriyet, Jamaat-e-Islami of occupied Kashmir, Democratic Freedom Party and Islamic Political Party visited Frisal, Redwani and Hawoora areas of Kulgam district to express solidarity with the families of the martyred youth.
The authorities arrested the Chairperson of Dukhtaran-e-Millat, Aasiya Andrabi and her associate Sofi Fahmeeda and shifted them to Rambagh Police Station, Srinagar. Aasiya Andrabi was continuously under house arrest after her release from Baramulla sub jail on December 21, last year.—KMS

Share this post

    scroll to top