We were deceived, will ‘no longer’ fight for Indians, say key commanders
As part of political reconciliation in Balochistan, 434 suspected militants surrendered to the authorities on Friday evening.
The suspected militants belonged to various banned organisations, including Baloch Republican Army, Baloch Liberation Army and other groups.
The suspected militants were allegedly involved in attacks on government installations in Quetta, Dera Bugti, Sui and other parts of the province.
The ceremony was held in Balochistan Assembly premises and was attended by Chief Minister Balochistan Nawab Sanaullah Zehri, Commander Southern Command Lt Gen Amir Riaz, provincial ministers and other government officials.
The fugitives belong to various districts of Balochistan. Speaking on the occasion, Chief Minister of Balochistan Nawab Sanaullah Zehri said, ‘Innocent people have been used and elements instigating them were living abroad’.
‘Innocent people were martyred at the behest of elements who are the slaves of RAW and no compromise would be made over the writ of the government,’ added the chief minister.
Zehri said that all possible support will be provided to those laying down arms. ‘This is our national and moral obligation,’ he said.
‘Worn-out clothes on fugitives are a slap on the faces of extremists,’ he said, holding those ‘residing in Europe and Switzerland’ responsible for the loss of many lives.
‘Our entire generation has been destroyed which is an irreparable damage,’ he said. He also said that the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor will rid the province of poverty and underdevelopment.
Commander Southern Command Lieutenant General Amir Riaz on the occasion said that Pakistan cannot be weakened and congratulated those laying down their arms for returning from a ‘so-called movement’.
He said that political and military leadership will provide every possible support to them to bring them into the national fold.
‘Anyone laying down their arms would be welcomed,’ added Riaz. ‘We were deceived,’ said Sher Mohammad, a key commander of the proscribed BLA, while Dur Khan Baloch, another key commander, said they will ‘no longer fight for the Indians’.
Balochistan government spokesperson Anwarul Haq Kakar said so far over 1500 ‘militants’ have surrendered. ‘More Ferraris would surrender before the authorities in the days to come.’
The surrender ceremony was attended by senior military and civilian leaders.