28 killed in mosque blast


Terror in Mohmand Agency

Children among more than 30 wounded

Tariq Saeed

Peshawar—More than two dozen faithful were martyred and 30 others sustained serious injuries when terrorists struck at a mosque during Jumma congregations in Mohmand Agency Friday afternoon.
The medics at Peshawar’s main hospital, where a number of seriously injured were shifted, apprehended the death toll may go higher as several wounded persons were in critical condition.
A number of children are among the injured. Though no one has owned responsibility of the Friday’s explosion, independent sources did not rule out the possibility of the involvement of RAW and KHAD in the filthy act.
Reports reaching here said the Friday prayers were in progress at a Jamia Masjid in Paee Khan village of Ambaar Tehsil Mohmand Agency when a powerful explosion, believed to be carried out by a suicide bomber, ripped through the gathering leaving over a dozen people dead on the spot.
The rescue teams and the locals shifted the blast victims to the local hospitals as well as District Headquarters Hospital Bajaur Agency where many more succumbed to their injuries taking the death toll to 23 while more than 30 were admitted for treatment.
Later, a number of critically-wounded were shifted to Peshawar for treatment and many of them were described as instable and the doctors apprehended the death may go higher.
Some reports say the absence of transport facilities at the site of blast in Ambaar Tehsil which is closed to Pak-Afghan border, and difficult terrain hampered the effective rescue operation.
The Ambaar Tehsil of Mohmand Agency closed to Pak-Afghan border, has been a stronghold of insurgents yet was purged off the troublemakers during the military operation in the region sometimes back. The security personnel said the explosion was triggered by a bomber who blew himself up during Friday’s prayer.
The political administration also confirmed that the blast was a suicide attack, saying the explosion oc-curred at the veranda of the mosque. “The explosion took place around 1.30 in the afternoon in Gul Masjid and there were around 200 Namazis at the time of the blast,” the locals said. The locals on the other hand lamented that no security measures have been adopted at mosques during Friday prayers in the region and that was why the suicide bomber managed to enter the mosque with explosives without any difficulty.
The independent sources while talking to this scribe said there was every possibility of the in-volvement of spying agencies of the neighbouring RAW and KHAD in the inhuman act as nexus be-tween the two agencies has further been strength-ened in recent years. The security forces are also reported to have kicked off search and net operation after the blast, but were unable to find a clue about the culprits.

Share this post

    scroll to top